R.I.P. 2022

Public forum for topics that don't fit other categories.
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

David McCullough, an award-winning author, narrator, historian and television host, died on Sunday at his Hingham, Mass. home. He was 89.

McCullough was best known for “Truman” and “John Adams,” two presidential biographies that notched him two Pulitzer Prizes in a 10-year span. He also won the National Book Award twice for “The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal” in 1977 and “Mornings on Horseback” in 1981, the latter which centered on a young Theodore Roosevelt and his family. In late 2006, he was awarded with the highest civilian award in the United States, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, for his literary works in chronicling the histories of some of the nation’s most prominent political figures.
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

(Reuters) - British-Born Australian singer and actress Olivia Newton-John died on Monday at the age of 73, according to a post on her Instagram account. "Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends," the social media post said.
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
seeker
Reactions:

Post by seeker »

Isn't aging a wonderful experience? You develop heroes when you are young and watch them die as you grow older.
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

Yes, we're all born to die.
Hypatia
Reactions:

Post by Hypatia »

Nichelle Nichols - Star Trek's communications officer Lieutenant (Nyota) Uhura. Born Grace Dell Nichols, Nichelle was one of the first black women to appear in a major television series and was credited with one of the first interracial on screen kisses, with Captain James Kirk. That was really something back in 1968.

I was a bit surprised that in the media coverage of Nichell's death I didn't hear anyone mention her contribution to recruiting minority personnel (including women) for NASA. I'm sure it must have been covered by some, just not in what I read and heard. The 2021 film Woman in Motion paid a wonderful tribute to her part in the NASA project and was, I thought, very interesting to watch.

Nichelle Nichols lived a long life - 89 years at the time of her death. I think she'll be remembered for an array of personal and professional accomplishments.
"Hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue". ~ François, duc de La Rochefoucauld (1765–1848)
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

Anne Heche - 1969-2022
(CNN)Anne Heche, an entrancing actor whose versatility powered an admirable career in television and film spanning four decades, has died at 53.

"Anne Heche has been peacefully taken off life support," a representative for her family told CNN earlier Sunday night, and later confirmed the actress' passing.
Heche's car crashed into a Los Angeles home and erupted into flames on August 5. After the accident, Heche experienced a "severe anoxic brain injury," depriving her brain of oxygen, among other critical injuries following the crash, her family and friends said in a statement to CNN.
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/queen- ... index.html
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has died at the age of 96, according to Buckingham Palace.
Her death brings to a close a reign that spanned seven decades and made her the most recognized woman in the world.
As monarch, the Queen is automatically granted a publicly funded state funeral. Details for the funeral are expected to be released by the palace soon.
DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »

DW Adams
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by DW Adams »